Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Mommy don't cry"

Mommy don't cry. I remember saying those three words so many times as a child. I remember wishing and praying and asking God to stop the pain. My troubles now seem small compared to those days. "Mommy don't cry" three haunting words stuck in my brain. Burned into my soul. As I hugged her I could feel her body quiver and shake. But her will was never broken. Her love for me was never ending. Her sacrifices and her pain never stopped her from protecting me. "Mommy don't cry" battered , bruised, and bleeding but she still managed a smile for me. She still managed to say those soothing words "I love you"
Ice packs on her blackened eye I held for her. "Mommy don't cry" no matter how bad she was hurting I remember her forcing herself to get up and make dinner so that I would not be hungry. Sitting there in the kitchen watching her stir the dinner in the skillet with a spoon and her standing there staring into space. Drifting off to the other worries in her life. And again her tears would flow. Watching her pray out loud asking God to keep her strong. Asking God to watch over me. "Mommy don't cry" nothing in my life can ever compare to the sadness I felt those days as a small child. And some nights in my dreams those three words come back to me. But there are also three words my mother told me to say when I was afraid and scared and I felt all alone. And I still say those three words to this day. When life has me feeling afraid and scared and all alone. And those three words are "Blood of Jesus" ...~Dan Greene~

No comments: