Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

"Gramma's Magic Pumpkin Pie"

When I was small (around 6 years old) I remember one Thanksgiving I was over my Gramma's house the day before...It was just me and her that day...And she was making Pumpkin Pie...She had a glob of dough for her pie crust on the table...She looked at me and ask me..."are you ready to make a magic Pumpkin Pie?" I said sure Gramma but how do you make a magic Pumpkin Pie?? She said just do what I tell you to do and you will see how magic it will be...She told me first you grab a handful of magic flour and throw it on the table...and she showed me...and when that flour hit the table a cloud of flour dust filled the air..being a small boy I thought that was so cool so I did the same...Next she handed me her old wooden rolling pin...it felt like it weighted a 100 pounds!!! she said now you must flatten the dough with the rolling pin...I tried my hardest but I was having all kinds of trouble...So Gramma stood behind me and she placed her hands on the roliing pin and she told me to put my hands on top of her's...As we rolled the dough Gramma sang Amazing Grace she had such a beautiful voice....After the dough was flattened I helped her place it in the pie pan....She cut away the extra dough that hung over the edge of the pan and she handed it to me...She said hold on to this extra dough because it's the magic part...I said why Gramma??? Why is it the magic part??? she said you just hold your horse's and you will see...Next she pinched me on the cheek and said she how I pinched you?? I want you to pinch the top of the dough all around the pan...so I did and she smiled at me when I was done and then she poured her pumpkin mixture in to the pie pan...Then she said to me "are you ready for the magic part?" I said yes I'm ready Gramma...She said but first we must say a prayer...So we said a prayer of Thanksgiving...We thanked God for all the people in our lives and all the things we would have to eat that Thanksgiving day...After that prayer Gramma helped me mold a small heart out of that extra piece of dough she had given me to hold...And we placed it in the middle of the pie...She kissed me on the cheek and gave me a great big Gramma hug and said to me "We just made a Magic Pumpkin Pie"..Everyone loved me and Gramma's Magic Pumpkin Pie that Thanksgiving Day....And of course I got that little Golden brown heart on my piece of pie...I treasure all those precious memories I have of my Grandmother and I will never forget them. Even though Gramma has been gone for many years the kindness and love she showed me has never died. Make a memory like that with someone you love and when your gone you an still be right there with them....:)

No comments: